Other Pages of Interest

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Homeward Bound

As Simon & Garfunkel famously sang - I'm homeward bound. I'm headed to the US for a few weeks and, I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty excited! I imagine myself now, only hours away from wandering the aisles of Target and Wegmans, overwhelmed by the selection of cereals that come without a sugar-coating. I was out to lunch yesterday with another expat friend and we talked wistfully about the beauty of Target - and how we are quite certain Target would thrive in Bs.As. Honestly, I don't know why this international branch hasn't happened yet. But, I digress....

So the original reason that I planned this trip to the US was because Jon had a 3-week business trip to Houston and Thailand. This all went to the wayside when Thailand, one of the most peaceful countries around, decided to go off the deep end in a wave of political strife, thus canceling Jon's trip to that part of the world. If not that, also the fact that he was going to fly through a volcano's wake to get there. Needless to say, I'm relieved that he's not going. It doesn't change the fact that I am still headed to the US today, our carefully orchestrated trip has gone array.

Speaking of well orchestrated trips, I should shed light to the easiest way we've found to travel between the US and Argentina. United Airlines has an amazing non-stop flight to Washington Dulles Airport that takes off at 9:00pm and goes through the night. This is amazing for a few reasons:
  1. The time zones are only 1 hour apart, so no jet lag.
  2. If you can sleep on the flight (I do with help from wine and Simply Sleep) it's like a regular night's sleep.
  3. It's direct so no layover, no taking your bags through customs in the US and if you buy something from Duty Free, you don't have to stuff it in your luggage for the next flight!
Personally, I think it's easier than a red-eye to California. The flight isn't that much more expensive than a connection flight either. All around, the best way to go.

So that's what's going on in the Gill abode. I'm feeling a little torn on what to actually call home, so for now, it's still the US and coincidentally, still my parent's house. And lucky for me, they're willing to pick me up at 6am.

Bien vuelo!

No comments:

Post a Comment