Other Pages of Interest

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Herb Garden - Take 4

For the last four years, I've been dreaming of cooking with my own hand-picked, home-grown herbs.  The garden in my mind is filled with flourishing luscious herbs that are available whenever I need them.  Unfortunately, my gardens inevitably become plant graveyards.  I have tried growing them inside and outside, and somehow they always end up dead. 

So let's try this again.

This year I'm attempting basil, watercress, chives, thyme, oregano and mint.  My oregano, thyme and mint I started from plants and they are doing quite well, even though I planted them in winter.  My real test will be the other plants, especially basil, which I have never been able to keep alive. 


I'm going with the dual attack this year, starting basil from plants and from seeds to see if I have success at either one.  The seasons are opposite, so August is planting season down here.  Maybe the longer, warmer, Argentine growing season will be on my side this year.  I'm keeping my new plants inside for the time being, the temperature here still gets into the low 40s at night, but as soon as it warms up I believe these will be outside the window plants. 

That is assuming they live that long. 

1 comment:

  1. You can do it!!! It really is so nice to use your own herbs when cooking! Another super easy one to keep alive is rosemary...

    ReplyDelete