Other Pages of Interest

Friday, February 25, 2011

Baby Belly Lotions

As I am reaching the end of my pregnancy, I need to pay homage to two products that I would recommend to anyone adorned with the lovely ginorm-a-belly that pregnancy will give you. Buckle up everyone, my first true product reviews lie ahead.

First up, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Lotion for Stretch Marks. Don't let the name fool you, you don't need to have stretch marks to start using this lotion.

During our trip to the US back in October, which is subsequently the only time during my pregnancy that we were in the US, my mom had two bottles of this lotion waiting for me and strongly urged me to start using it tout suite. After using 2 pumps a day in the morning after I shower, I am now on my 3rd bottle. It's moisturizing, has a nice consistency and doesn't get thick and or oily. Each bottle is under $8.00 and it can be picked up at any CVS, Target, Walmart, or it's available for order on Amazon, in case you're ordering it for someone to smuggle to another country for you. Sorry Argentina, as far as I know, Palmer's has not made it here yet.

I've read all sorts of literature on stretch marks, and I understand that the major indicator on determining if you will get them is heredity. That being said, even if there is a small chance that moisturizing your skin will help you avoid/reduce the possibility of getting these lovely marks, I'm game to try anything. If nothing else, lotion helps the dry skin itchiness that stretching your belly to the limit will give you.


The second product that I've used is a less mainstream option. I found this adorable little container in my Christmas stocking from my mother-in-law who brought it all the way from central Virginia-based Soothing Herbals. Soothing Herbals makes all natural, preservative-free products and has a nice Mama & Baby line.

Clearly, when you go from mainstream to local business, the price goes up a bit, but I've been using my 4oz jar of belly butter at night before bed since Christmas Day and I bet it will last me to delivery. The consistency of this product is a little thicker and a bit more oily so I opt to use it before bed. This gives it more time to soak in and allows me to wear looser clothing over top (as opposed to the elastic-waisted bottoms I've been wearing for the last 7 months). The belly butter has a pleasant, but not overly flowery or medicinal smell and my skin feels nice and soft in the mornings. If you do not happen to be located in central Virginia, I believe Soothing Herbals does a mail order business and they have plenty more in their line of products versus just momma-related items.

So there you have it. I have had great luck with these two products, and throughout my pregnancy I have been dry skin and stretch mark free (knock on wood, I still have a few weeks to go...). This is an amazing feat considering how large my belly has gotten, I can't even believe it when I look at the Baby Belly pictures posted.

That, and I have got to stop wearing horizontal stripes!

No comments:

Post a Comment